For Command Track cadets only. Prerequisite: Command 401. An introduction to strategies of starship asset management on a sector-wide scale. Includes standard operations strategies as well as native political scenarios. Preliminary course for Fleet Asset Management II. (2 credits)
Offered Third Term.
(From the Starfleet Academy catalog, 2377-2378)
This “fleet management course” started as a game called You’re the Admiral! in the Flare Sci-Fi Forums in September 2001. The game’s intent was to present a roleplaying scenario for interested Treknologists. It opened up simple enough, by asking what ships should be sent for certain tasks, and how to keep two planets from getting into a bloody war. As more people joined the game, it got more interesting (and more complicated).
The games are still occasionally in progress, too! Hop on over to the Flare Forums and feel free to join the fun!
For each map, assume that:
- The sector is essentially flat, and is approximately 20 ly on a side. At Warp 9, a starship will take approximately five days to traverse a side.
- Each asterisk represents a main-sequence star with little interesting about it.
- Each planet is in a star system, and except where noted is class M.
- The space in the adjoining sectors is essentially devoid of anything interesting or valuable. Borders extend in staight lines beyond that which is noted.
- Unless noted, all inhabited planets are occupied by humanoid species with a variety of bumpy heads.
- Scenario 1: Sector Alpha (by Mark Nguyen)
- Expand Starfleet’s presence in the region, foster a new Federation member candidate, keep the locals from ripping each other to shreds, and make sure you don’t get caught by surprise by the unknown alien threat in a nearby sector!
- Scenario 2: Sector Beta (by Mark Nguyen)
- Klingons and Romulans and Borg, oh my! (No Borg, actually — really!) Rebuild the Ulian infrastructure, patronize local anti-technology colonists, and keep abreast of Klingon internal politics. The neighboring Driian Empire is rumored to possess weapons of mass destruction — should you send in weapons inspectors, or launch a massive invasion?
- Scenario 3: Sector Gamma (by Mark Nguyen)
- Cardassian renegades, potential Prime Directive violations, and personnel management. Isn’t being an Admiral fun? (In progress, on hold.)
- Scenario 4: Dorza Sector (by Chris St. John)
- Take control of a sector where everyone wants you to do things their way. Oh, and have you ever played chicken with a Gorn?
- Scenario 5: Sobchak Sector (by Chris St. John)
- Take a trip through history! Stare down Klingons across the border, fend off annoying pirates, and keep track of your starship assets. Did I mention there’s a nebula that leaves a big blind spot on your doorstep, too? (In progress.)