The undersigned, the Secretary-General of the General Assembly of the United Nations of Earth and the Praetor of the Continuing Committee of the Romulan Star Empire, in the interest of ending the recent conflict, with its great toll of bloodshed on both sides, and with the objective of establishing conditions that will encourage peaceful relations between the Human and Romulan peoples, do individually, collectively, and mutually agree to accept and to be bound and governed by the conditions and terms of armistice set forth in the following Articles and Paragraphs, which said conditions and terms are intended to fully conclude the hostilities between the United Nations of Earth and the Romulan Star Empire.
Article I: Military Demarcation and the Neutral Zone
A Neutral Zone shall be established as a buffer zone to prevent the occurrence of incidents which might lead to a resumption of hostilities. This Neutral Zone shall be defined by two boundaries one (1) light-year apart along the galactic longitudinal plane, and further defined as indicated on the attached map, along with precise accompanying coordinates. This Neutral Zone shall be plainly marked by the militaries of the opposing sides.
Neither side shall execute any hostile act within, from, against, or across the Neutral Zone. No vessels identifiable with the governments of the opposing sides, whether military or civilian, may cross the demarcation lines which define the Neutral Zone, nor may any unmanned probes, whether military or civilian, be deployed in the Zone.
Any breach of the Neutral Zone may be considered a hostile action and a breach of this Treaty. In such event, an immediate state of war shall be declared to exist, except where such intrusion can be undeniably proven to be the accidental result of conditions beyond the control of the vessel in question and did, in fact, occur without hostile intent.
Article II: Concrete Arrangements for the Armistice
The Military Commanders of the opposing sides shall order and enforce a complete cessation of all hostilities by all armed forces under their control, including all units and personnel of any surface, orbital, and interstellar forces, effective twelve (12) hours after this Treaty is signed.
In order to insure the stability of the military armistice, the Commanders of the opposing sides shall:
- Within seventy-two (72) hours after this Treaty becomes effective, begin the withdrawal of all military forces, supplies, and equipment from the Neutral Zone. All active minefields, automated monitoring stations, and other outposts known to exist within the Neutral Zone after the beginning of the withdrawal of military forces therefrom, shall be reported by the Commander of the side whose forces emplaced such installations. Eventually, within thirty (30) days after the termination of the seventy-two (72) hour period, all such installations shall be permanently removed from the Neutral Zone as directed by and under the supervision of the appropriate Commander. At the termination of the seventy-two (72) hour period, except for unarmed vessels which are to effect the removal of the stations and outposts remaining within the Neutral Zone, no vessels of either side shall be permitted to enter the Neutral Zone.
- Within ninety (90) days after this Treaty becomes effective, withdraw all of their military and civilian vessels, supplies, and equipment from the Neutral Zone and any region of space to be occupied by the opposing side. If such military and civilian vessels are not withdrawn within the stated time limit, and there is no mutually agreed and valid reason for the delay, the other side shall have the right to take any action which it deems necessary for the maintenance of security and order.
- Cease the introduction into the adjacent sectors of reinforcing combat spacecraft, armored transports, weapons, and ammunition; provided, however, that combat spacecraft, armored transports, weapons, and ammunition which are destroyed, damaged, worn out, or used up during the period of the armistice may be replaced on the basis of piece-for-piece of the same effectiveness and the same type.
- Insure that personnel of their respective commands who violate any of the provisions of this Treaty are adequately punished.
This Treaty shall apply to all opposing surface, orbital, and interstellar forces under the military control of either side, which shall respect the Neutral Zone and the area under the military control of the opposing side.
Responsibility for compliance with and enforcement of the terms and provisions of this Treaty is that of the signatories hereto and their successors. The leaders of the opposing sides shall establish within their respective governments all measures and procedures necessary to insure complete compliance with all the provisions hereof.
Article III: Miscellaneous
Amendments and additions to this Treaty must be mutually agreed to by the leaders of both sides.
The Articles and Paragraphs of this Treaty shall remain in effect until expressly superseded either by mutually acceptable amendments and additions or by provisions in another appropriate agreement.
All of the provisions of this Treaty shall become effective at 2200 hours on 1 November 2160.
Done by voice communication on subspace radio, at 1000 hours on the first day of November, 2160, in English and Romulan, both texts being equally authentic.
I, Lai tr’Ehhelih, having read the terms of this treaty verbatim over the agreed-upon subspace communication channel, and being identifiable by voiceprint of this transmission, do hereby certify that I am Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire with full powers to execute this treaty on behalf of the Empire.
I, Christopher Thorpe, having read the terms of this treaty verbatim over the agreed-upon subspace communication channel, and being identifiable by voiceprint of this transmission, do hereby certify that I am Secretary-General of the United Nations of Earth with full powers to execute this treaty on behalf of Earth.
Resolution 74 (2162)
Adopted by the Federation Council at its 52nd meeting, on 29 January 2162
The Federation Council,
Recalling its earlier resolutions 18 (2161) of 9 November 2161 and 32 (2161) of 27 December 2161 regarding the preservation of peace and prosperity for all social systems,
Recalling in particular the high cost of the recent war between the United Nations of Earth and the Romulan Star Empire,
Bearing in mind its primary responsibility under the Articles of Federation for the maintenance of interplanetary peace and security, and underlining the importance of taking measures aimed at conflict prevention and resolution,
Reaffirming its commitment to the purposes of the Articles of Federation as set out in Article 1, and to the principles of the Articles as set out in Article 2, including its commitment to the principles of the political independence, sovereign equality, and territorial integrity of all states, and to respect for the sovereignty of all states,
Underlining the need for all parties concerned to comply with the rules and principles of interstellar law,
Declares accordingly that the United Federation of Planets hereby assumes the rights and obligations of the Treaty of Peace between the United Nations of Earth and the Romulan Star Empire, including:
- deterring renewed hostilities, maintaining and where necessary enforcing the measures imposed by Article 1 of the Treaty of Peace;
- to provide security and maintain law and order throughout the Qualor Sector;
- conducting border monitoring duties as required;
- Reaffirms the existence of the Neutral Zone as established by Article 1 of the Treaty of Peace, and further reaffirms the Council’s commitment to maintain the integrity of the Zone from all intrusions;
- Reiterates its support for the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Romulan Star Empire within its recognized boundaries;
Decides to establish, in accordance with rule 28 of the Council’s provisional rules of procedure, a Committee of the Federation Council consisting of all the members of the Council, to undertake the following tasks and to report on its work to the Council along with its observations and recommendations:
- to seek from all members further information regarding the action taken by them with a view to implementing effectively the measures imposed by Article 1 of the Treaty of Peace, and thereafter to request from them whatever further information it may consider necessary;
- to consider information brought to its attention concerning violations of the measures imposed by Article 1 of the Treaty of Peace, and to recommend appropriate measures in response thereto;
- to make periodic reports to the Federation Council regarding alleged violations of the measures imposed by Article 1 of the Treaty of Peace, identifying where possible persons, vessels, or entities reported to be engaged in such violations;
- Reaffirms its relevant resolutions on the Romulan Star Empire, and in particular resolution 18 (2161) of 9 November 2161;
- Reaffirms the importance of holding, at the appropriate time, an interstellar conference on peace, security and stability in the Qualor Sector between the governments of the United Federation of Planets and the Romulan Star Empire, with the participation of all the governments of the region and all others concerned;
- Decides to remain seized of the matter.