Written by Dan Carlson
The Road to War
- ca. 250 CE
- The Time of Awakening on Vulcan.
- ca. 300 CE
- The Great Schism splits the Vulcan people.
- ca. 450 CE
- Romulus and Remus settled by the Romulans.
- World War III erupts on Earth.
- 2063 (5 April)
- Zefram Cochrane successfully tests Earth’s first fusion-powered warp drive aboard the Phoenix. The same day, a Vulcan scout ship makes First Contact with Earth.
- The United Nations of Earth is founded in Paris, Europe.
- The first permanent Mars Colony is established.
- The Toliman Colony is established in the Alpha Centauri system.
- Humans make First Contact with the Andorians.
- Humans make First Contact with the Zakdorn.
- Tau Ceti III is settled by Earth.
- Humans make First Contact with the Tellarites.
- The colony on Cor Caroli is established.
- Romulan scientists develop a fusion-powered warp drive.
- Deneva Colony is established.
- A small colony is established by Romulan settlers on Chaltok.
- The Andorian colony on Beta Hydri is established.
- Sotarek is settled by the Romulans.
- The colony on Qualor II is established.
- The UES Carrizal surveys star systems in the eastern galactic frontier, including the Tomed, Zeta Reticuli, and Cheron systems.
- The Richardson-Tachikawa method of producing mass quantities of antimatter is developed.
- The Andorian colony of Pvarto is established on Gamma Virginis IV.
- The Vulcan explorer T’sannu is shot down by Romulan patrol ships in orbit of ch’Rihan.
- The Romulan Star Empire is founded with the “imperialization” of the colonies on Chaltok and Sotarek.
- The first Bison Class starship is launched by United States Rocket and Spacecraft Corporation.
- The Romulan military establishes an outpost in the Zeta Reticuli system (Tranome Sar).
- Colossus, the first practical matter/antimatter reactor, goes online at Argyre Planitia, Mars.
- The Commonwealth of Australia joins the United Nations of Earth, the last nation-state to do so.
- The Sahara Colony is settled on Galorndon Core.
- The Romulan military occupies the Cheron system, establishing it as a forward supply base.
- UES Phoenix conducts a follow-up survey of the Zeta Reticuli system, and finds unidentified alien starships in an area previously known to be unoccupied.
- Devron is occupied by the Romulans, and is established as an advance outpost for the Romulan military.
- 22 February
- The Kursk Incident. A chance encounter between a UE scouting force and a Romulan patrol results in the first shots fired in the Earth-Romulan conflict.
- 18 April
- Station Aurora Seven is established in orbit of Qualor II.
- 17 September
- An unidentified alien starship appears in orbit over the Sahara Colony. No contact is established.
- The Romulans establish a military base in the Tomed System.
- 13 January
- The civilian freighter Nakajima Maru, transporting supplies from Qualor II to Draken IV, detects three alien ships shadowing the convoy near the Barradas System. No contact is established, and after a week of silent observation, the ships break pursuit.
- 8 March
- The UE Joint Chiefs of Staff issue a report on the numerous sightings in recent months, dismissing the claims of alien infiltration as “alarmist” and “inflammatory.”
- Classified report UESN-31-Q-9 (issued on the same date) recommends a quiet buildup of ships in the Qualor region and attempts to contact this mysterious race.
- 19 May
- The ground-based subspace transmitter/sensor array on Qualor II goes online.
- 21 July
- UES Roddenberry detects sensor ghosts following them while on a survey mission in the Kratona Expanse.
- 4 September
- The testbed UES Little Nell performs the first antimatter-powered warp flight near Jupiter.
- 18 October
- UES Balboa is sent to investigate reports of an expanding alien race in the eastern galactic frontier. The ship disappears.
- 9 November
- The Andorians establish a colony on Yadalla Prime.
- 19 January
- The private scout Shoalhaven, on a mission to survey the Cheron System, is confronted by a squadron of alien ships and chased from the system.
- 31 January
- Alien starships appear in the Gamma Virginis system. They appear to survey the region but ignore all attempts at contact before leaving again.
- 15 February
- Officially acknowledging the alien incursions for the first time, the UE announces the deployment of patrol cruisers to the Qualor region to defend against this unknown threat.
- 28 February
- The United Earth Intelligence Agency (UEIA) issues a report on the recent incursions. The term “Romulans” is first used to refer to the alien threat.
- 5 April
- The Andorian Sovereignty sends a delegation to Earth, requesting an information exchange regarding the alien threat.
- 25 May
- Ships of the 10th, 12th, 13th, and 17th Task Forces arrive in the Qualor Sector and begin patrols along the frontier.
- 1 June
- The UESN Joint Chiefs announce intentions to establish direct contact with the Romulans. A small task force led by the UES Valiant is sent to the Zeta Reticuli system, a known center of Romulan activity.
- 3 September
- Station Salem One is established in the Tarod System as an advance outpost to guard against the Romulan incursions.
- 28 October
- The Battle of Zeta Reticuli.
- 17 December
- The Battle of Devron IX. Romulan warships attack an Andorian survey fleet.
- 20 January
- Contact is lost with the Sahara Colony. Ships sent to investigate months later report that the colony was destroyed, and there were no survivors. Reports suggest that the colony was subjected to a massive orbital bombardment.
- 13 February
- The subspace sensor/transmitter array on Qualor II is activated.
- 7 March
- A Romulan fleet attacks and destroys Station Salem One. The entire crew is killed in the raid, and nine nearby ships are destroyed.
- 13 March
- The UE General assembly declares a state of war to exist between Earth and the Romulan Empire.
- 18 March
- Samantha Clark replaces Bradley Yi as the UE Minister of Defense.
- 29 March
- Romulan warships attack the Andorian colony on Gamma Virginis IV. Hundreds are killed in the raid.
- 3 April
- The UESN 12th Task Force is sent on a scout and attack mission into Romulan space to determine enemy strength.
- 16 April
- Little Nell is destroyed in an onboard accident during her tenth flight.
- Romulan forces launch numerous raids into UE space, targeting commercial transports, patrol vessels, and poorly-defended planetary outposts.
- 12 May
- Governor Niazi institutes martial law on Qualor II in the face of Romulan attacks.
- 6 June
- UE General Assembly opens hearings regarding the possible mishandling of contact with the Romulans.
- 21 August
- The Earth-Andor Alliance is established.
- 5 September
- A Tellarite convoy is attacked by Romulan ships near Qualor II.
- 17 September
- The Andorians evacuate the Pvarto colony in the Gamma Virginis system. It is subsequently occupied by Romulan forces.
- 14 October
- Little Nell II is launched.
- 5 November
- The Battle of the Vargot Expanse. The UE 12th Task Force is ambushed by a Romulan fleet outside the Cheron System.
- 1 December
- An internal UESN report warns of several glaring deficiencies in fleet combat readiness. Among the conclusions is that the UE would be unable to sustain an offensive into Romulan space for more than seven months. More alarmingly, the report questions the UE’s ability to respond to Romulan incursions within a reasonable time period.
- 5 December
- The UESN Joint Chiefs approve production of the Krechet and Tannhäuser classes, Earth’s first antimatter-powered warships.
- 15 January
- The Tellarite Alliance formally joins the war effort.
- 3 February
- Romulan warships attack the Qualor II colony. Several hundred civilians are killed in the attack.
- 4 April
- The UES Krechet, Earth’s first AM-powered warship, is commissioned at the San Francisco Fleet Yards.
- 17 May
- Station Babylon Four is completed near the Deneva System.
- 12 June
- Romulan forces raid Dulisian IV.
- 4 August
- The Battle of Andor.
- 29 August
- UES Krechet reports the discovery of a Romulan invasion fleet on course for Deneva. UESN Command scrambles to pull together enough ships for defense of Deneva.
- 21-23 October
- The Battle of Hell’s Gate. UE defense forces attack the Romulan invasion fleet, bringing the largest UE casualties for a single engagement.
- 7 November
- Amid calls for retribution in the wake of the Hell’s Gate invasion, the UE General Assembly orders the fleet to prepare for an offensive into Romulan space.
- 19 November
- The Second Battle of Qualor II.
- 27 November
- The Battle of Tarod.
- 14 December
- UESN combat readiness assessment concludes that the UE is ill-equipped to conduct effective offensive operations at this time.
- 3 January
- The UESN Joint Chiefs release their “Three Phase Plan” for an offensive into Romulan-held territory.
- 14 January
- Ambassador Michael DeSantis makes his famous “Delenda est Romulo” speech before the General Assembly.
- 28 February
- Launch of Project Milk Run, an attempt to establish a fast and reliable supply network inside UE-controlled space.
- 13 March
- The UE Command approves Operation Sidestep, an advance into the southeastern galactic frontier in an attempt to outflank the Romulan lines.
- 8 April
- Battle of Krakowski Void.
- 19 May
- Andorian forces reoccupy the Pvarto colony.
- 26 June
- Romulan forces launch an attack on Miridian Colony.
- 1 August
- Launch of Operation Lancer, also known as the Minotaur Campaign.
- 19 August
- Task Force 37 is equipped with Ares antimatter missiles, the first of their kind.
- 11 September
- Battle of Topaz.
- 20 September
- The UESN Joint Chiefs approve the sale of 40 Minotaur attack fighters to the Andorian government.
- 30 November
- Romulan forces attack Relva VII.
- 24 January
- Battle of Barradas V.
- 21 February
- UES Vicksburg is destroyed during an accidental detonation of an Ares antimatter missile in its launch bay, killing all 1,200 officers and crew aboard. The UE Command subsequently withdraws the Ares missile from service pending a more reliable missile containment system.
- 1 April
- Launch of Operation Pigeon Shoot.
- 5 June
- Battle of the Kratona Expanse.
- 8 July
- Battle of GC-114.
- 17 August
- Battle of the Kratona Expanse.
- 10 September
- UE Task Force 25 launches a raid against the Romulan colony of Sotarek.
- 1 October
- Battle of GC-114.
- 3 October
- Beginning of the Seige of Rhei’ilhne.
- 9 November
- The Battle of Gamma Hydra II.
- 13 December
- Task Force 28 is battered by a Level-9 ion storm in the Kratona Expanase.
- 26 December
- UE Task Force 31 destroys the Romulan subspace transmitter/sensor array in the Devron System.
- 5 January
- Romulan forces attack Galorndon Core. It is the last Romulan offensive of the war.
- 13 February
- The evacuation of Thierrull (Hellguard).
- 8 April
- Andorians attack Devron IX.
- 29 April
- UE Task Force 21 raids Tranome Sar. Romulans debut a new class of defensive ship dubbed CLAVICLE, apparently intended to confront the powerful Minotaur- and Powhatan-class warships. It is also the only direct fighter-to-fighter engagement of the war.
- 5 May
- UE Task Force 39 destroys the Romulan subspace transmitter/sensor array in the Cheron System.
- 17 July
- The Andorian Second Fleet destroys the Romulan outpost in the Devron System.
- 13 August
- The Battle of Cheron.
- 2-15 September
- UE Task Force 41 breaks through Romulan lines and drives towards Romulus itself.
- 15 September
- The Romulan Senate sends a subspace message to Vulcan, requesting immediate talks to negotiate a truce.
- 1 November
- Truce agreements are finalized over subspace radio.
- 16 November
- The UE General Assembly approves a resolution proposing an interstellar Federation of planets. Despite the somewhat hesitant reception of the idea, all local planets agree to send delegates to the Babel Conference.
- 29 January
- The First Babel Conference convenes.
- 18 June
- The Federation Charter is approved by the First Babel Conference.
- 11 October
- The United Federation of Planets is founded in San Francisco following the ratification of the Charter by five planetary governments.
|Speed||Approximate Time to Travel|
|Factor||Velocity||Earth to Alpha Centauri (4.3 LY)||Earth to Vulcan (10.5 LY)||Earth to Deneva(12.3 LY)||Deneva to Qualor II (5.9 LY)||Alpha Centauri to Andor (11 LY)||Cheron to Qualor II (6.5 LY)||Cheron to Galorndon Core (4.1 LY)||Romulus to Cheron (3.6 LY)|
|Warp 1||1 c||4.3 years||10.5 years||12.3 years||5.9 years||11 years||6.5 years||4.1 years||3.6 years|
|Warp 2||8 c||196 days||479 days||561 days||269 days||501 days||296 days||187 days||165 days|
|Warp 3||27 c||58 days||142 days||166 days||80 days||149 days||88 days||55 days||49 days|
|Warp 4||64 c||24.5 days||60 days||70 days||33 days||63 days||37 days||24 days||20 days|
|Warp 5||125 c||12.5 days||30 days||36 days||17 days||32 days||19 days||12 days||10 days|
|Ship Type||Units Built||2153-12-31||2154-12-31||2155-12-31||2156-12-31||2157-12-31||2158-12-31||2159-12-31||2160-11-01|
|Heavy Cruiser (CH)||57||8||10||14||20||24||23||30||33|
|Escort Cruiser (CE)||71||-||-||-||-||-||34||57||60|
|Light Cruiser (CL)||109||37||37||42||49||36||34||45||54|
|System Patrol (PC)||132||25||30||40||46||52||52||53||57|
|Ship Type||Units Built||2155-12-31||2156-12-31||2157-12-31||2158-12-31||2159-12-31||2160-11-01|
Many Romulan strength values are only approximate, based on units observed in the combat zone, intelligence gathered by various UESN assets, and additional estimates of Romulan industrial capacity and projected vessel deployments.
Primary Sources and Historical Surveys
- Anderson, J. What is Our Name?. (2366)
- Arthur, G. The Seige of Qualor. (2159)
- Barclay, Robert J., Jr. Close Quarters: San Francisco Cruisers in the UESN. (2163)
- Belav-Sha. A Diary of the Seige of Vradpest. (Translation, 2166)
- Chang, Justin. Tin Cans: The San Francisco Defense. (2158)
- Czikath, H. The Road to Romulus. (2162)
- Fraser, G. Antimatter, The Ultimate Mirror. (2142)
- Fredrickson, Lee. Hunter, Prey: The Front Lines of the Earth-Romulan War. (2163)
- George, Micheal. The Ships of the U.E. Stellar Navy. Eighth Edition. (2160)
- Gibson, Rei Toei. Eagles of War: A Short History of the Earth-Romulan War. (2214)
- Grotak, M. The Wall. (Translation, 2174)
- Haleakala-LoBrutto, Terise. The Romulan Way. (2277)
- L’shek, Pta. The Secret Diplomatic History of the Earth-Romulan War. (2316)
- Manfela, S. Alien Invasion! A Colonist’s Journal During the Seige of Qualor. (2169)
- Okazaki, M. U.E. Small Combatants, Including Light Cruisers, Missile Boats, and the Orbital Navy: An Illustrated Design History. (2209)
- Pohan-McClintock, Tyo. The First Stellar War. (2165)
- Robinson, Kim S. Birds of Prey: The Colonial Line. (2165)
- Seldon, Hari. My War With the Romulans. (2159)
- Suh, J. The Romulan War: Forty Years Later. (2201)
- T’ummerik, Glorious Victory. (Unknown)
- Xiu-feng, Samson Zhang. Vol 4. Galactic Diplomacy: The Earth-Romulan War and the Birth of the Federation. (2331)
- Yader, U. From Qualor to Cheron. (2161)
Additional Articles (Unpublished)
- Axek, L. Causes of the Earth-Romulan War: An Exploration of the Military Bureaucracy. Starfleet Academy, 2168.
- Baloo, C. The Vulcan-Romulan War. Alpha Quadrant Institute of Technology, 2370.
- Carlson, D. Romulan warp capabilities. Washington and Lee University, 2376. OFFLINE
- Carlson, D. and Okazaki, M. Interstellar text correspondence. 2375-77.
- Datalore, I. Of Vulcans and Romulans. University of Canada, 2266. OFFLINE
- Federation Security Council 107/743. The Romulan/Klingon Alliance. 23 June 2268. OFFLINE
- Izzoti, A. Lost Races of the Original Series: The Andorians. 16 February 2369.
- Kennedy, G. Daystrom Institute Technical Library Catalogue of Lifeforms: The Romulans. 27 October 2300.
- Laurence, P. The Daedalus Class, Antimatter Reactors, and the Photon Torpedo. University of Deneva, 2377. OFFLINE
- Mosaa, O. The Earth-Romulan War. 27 October 2320.
- Niazi, M. Minutes of the 5th, 6th, 8th, and 10th meetings of the Qualor Governor’s Council. 2156-2157.
- Okazaki, M. Starfleet Museum online, vol 3. Ships of the Earth-Romulan War. 2375.
- Oice, B.R. Space-Based Munitions: The Hydrogen Bomb and the Photon Torpedo. University of Delaware, 2201. OFFLINE
- Pemberton, T. 3D Constructs. 14 May 2377.
- Rkam, M. Diplomatic Analysis of the Romulan Star Empire. 9 October 2374.
- Schneider, B. Warp Drive and Romulan History. PhD thesis, University of Siegen, 2304.
- Starfleet Corps of Engineers 1-47. Development of the Antimatter Weapons. 2 July 2235. OFFLINE
- Starfleet Diplomatic Corps 23/692. Strange Relations: Romulans and Vulcans. (2380)
- Thomsa, P. The Nature of Antimatter. Columbia University, 2134.
- Toast, M. FTL vs. Non-FTL Ships: Tactics or Turkey Shoot?. University of Andor, 2148. OFFLINE
- Naifed, T. Defiant. The United Earth Charter. Starfleet Academy, 2165. OFFLINE
- UE Stellar Navy, Commander-in-Chief Qualor Sector. Combat Readiness Assessments. Annual reports 2155-2161.
Special thanks to Masao Okazaki for providing the impetus for writing this article in the first place. His excellent articles on the ships of the Earth-Romulan War gave me the foundation upon which to build my story. Furthermore, this project would not have been finished without his invaluable suggestions, advice, and encouragement.
Also, thanks to Bernd Schneider for his help with some of the technical issues of the 22nd Century and other excellent suggestions. Bernd is also the host of the Starfleet Museum.
And finally, thanks to Thomas Pemberton, Fabio Passaro, and Nick Porcino of the 3D Gladiators Art Forums for their excellent renderings which illustrate these pages.